This mentored 10-week program within the Department of Speech Pathology & Audiology runs from June – August.
The summer Professional Speech Pathology/Audiology Assistant program has typically invited students each year to work a 40 hour week for a total of 10 weeks. This is a paid position.
Placements may be in the acute care and outpatient settings for both adult and pediatric populations.
The Summer Professional Speech Pathology/Audiology Assistant program is designed to offer students the opportunity to:
- Increase awareness of the scope of practice for medical speech pathology/audiology
- Advance interest in and capacity for providing optimal patient care in a variety of clinical settings and assorted diagnoses throughout the health system
- Develop critical-thinking skills and professional communication skills
- Ongoing observation and mentoring with experienced clinicians
Participants are paid to learn while working a 40-hour work schedule (Monday – Friday) in a combination of inpatient/outpatient and hospital/clinic settings. All participants work on special Departmental projects in addition to having the opportunity to observe all types of clinical speech pathology and audiology practice in a variety of medical settings.
Participants have the opportunity to attend multiple continuing education opportunities throughout the program.
Duke Speech Pathology and Audiology offers monthly hour-long lunch and learn educational sessions on current topics it the field. Local experts present on interesting topics related to speech-language pathology and audiology.
How to Apply
The requirements for the position are as follows:
- Participants must be enrolled as an undergraduate student and have an interest in audiology or speech pathology
Applications will be accepted mid-February through mid-March. To apply, interested candidates would submit the following information to the Department of Speech Pathology & Audiology’s Human Resources Office, either by email Speech.Hearing@mc.duke.edu or by fax 919-613-8230, with subject line indicating SLP/A Summer Student. For further information please call 919-684-6271.
- Brief letter of interest
- Minimum of 3 names to serve as professional references
- Program typically begins: End of May
- Program ends: Beginning of August
- Application deadline: Mid-March