We are seeking students with the following qualifications:
- Strong academic background
- Highly motivated
- Genuine interest in medical speech pathology
- Commitment to excellence
- Previous practicum placement in a medical environment is preferred but not required
The Duke Speech Pathology externship program offers graduate clinicians the ability to apply their academic training in acute care, outpatient, and clinic settings in pediatric or adult programs that serve medically complex patients with a variety of speech, language, and swallowing disorders.
Our speech pathologists work closely with multidisciplinary teams of health care professionals, use state-of-the-art equipment and technology, and participate in a variety of specialty clinics including ALS Clinic, Huntington’s Clinic, Cleft and Craniofacial Board, Down Syndrome Clinic, and Special Infant Care Clinic.
Depending on availability, placements may be in the acute care and outpatient settings for both adult and pediatric populations.
Graduate student speech language pathologists have the opportunity to attend multiple continuing education opportunities throughout the year, free of cost.
The Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology offers monthly hour-long lunch and learn educational sessions on current topics in the field. Local experts present on interesting topics related to speech language pathology and audiology.
Student externs also have the opportunity to participate in dysphagia rounds, communication rounds, and pediatric speech pathology rounds as well as other educational opportunities throughout the hospital.
How to Apply
- To apply for a graduate student externship in speech pathology, please contact your clinical supervisor in your graduate program who can facilitate communication for an institutional affiliation with the Duke Speech Pathology and Audiology Program.
- Please contact us at please contact us at 919-684-6271 or Speech.Hearing@mc.duke.edu for more information.
Please contact our student program coordinator at 919-684-6271 or Speech.Hearing@mc.duke.edu if you would like to:
- Establish an affiliation with Duke Speech Pathology and Audiology
- Have a student complete an advanced externship at DUMC
- Discuss student externship opportunities in Speech Pathology and Audiology in greater detail
If you have any further questions, please contact us at 919-684-6271 or Speech.Hearing@mc.duke.edu.