Leaders in health education on HNS&CS topics.
HNS&CS provides numerous health education events every year. For 2021-22:
- Veterans Benefit Live: VA in My Town March 19, 2022. Providing education regarding head and neck cancer can help the community recognize signs and symptoms early and reduce risk factors that increase risk.
- Duke HEARS Workshop, October 30, 2021: Duke HEARS (honor, educate, advocate, relate, support)- With the help of the Powers/Owen Endowment, The Hearing Center for Children & Families sponsored a free day of fun, support, and virtual learning for families of children with hearing loss. This year’s topic, Conscious Discipline, focused on the development of your child's brain as you teach self-regulation, kindness, and compassion and set children up for success. In addition parents had the opportunity to interact with a diverse panel (parents and professionals) during a Questions & Answers session.
- Walk for Hearing 2021, October 10, 2021; Duke sponsored the 2021 Hearing Loss Association of America’s (HLAA) Walk4Hearing in Cary, NC. The funds raised help outreach and awareness programs locally and support national programs for people with hearing loss.
- 3rd Annual Smile Stand—Duke Cleft & Craniofacial Team October 1, 2021. Members of HNSCS including otolaryngologists, speech pathologists, and audiologists have volunteered to help with the annual Smile Stand Event, hosted by the nonprofit organization, Smile Together, the first Friday each October, where Duke staff, patients, and their families host lemonade stands around Duke Medical Campus to promote awareness of cleft and craniofacial conditions and raise funds to support the Duke Cleft and Craniofacial Team.
- Duke Voice Care Center provided 5 virtual events on vocal health to help participants understand how to keep their voices healthy, achieve a voice that aligns with their gender identity, avoid isolation and communication problems associated with aging, and strategies to help with performance anxiety.
- Let’s Talk About It: Keeping Our Voices Strong
- Achieving Voice Euphoria: An Intro to Gender-Affirming Voice Training
- How to Make Your Voice Last a Lifetime: Vocal Health for Singers, in partnership with Elon University Music Department
- Virtual World Voice Day May 2, 2022: “Free Your Voice! Understanding Performance Anxiety and Vocal Health”
- Every Voice Has A Story May 2, 2023