Emily Commesso, MD
Cornell University, College of Human Ecology
Upstate Medical University
Clinical and Research Interests
- Public health and equality of healthcare access
- Opioid prescribing practices
- Development of accessible and meaningful scales that can be utilized in outpatient settings to assess patient outcomes and aid in management
- Evidence-based practice
What were you looking for in a residency program?
- Ability to explore interests and research
- Support of residents pursuing general practice as well fellowship
- Formal mentorship
What are the strengths of the Duke program?
- We have representation of all specialties within otolaryngology
- Great operative exposure from intern year on
- Supportive faculty and cohesive group of residents
- Department support of research initiatives and conference attendance
What advice do you have for incoming interns?
Work hard. Learn as much as possible. You only get to be a resident once.
What do you like best about living in Durham and the Triangle?
- Amazing weather year round while still getting the four seasons
- Great restaurants
- DPAC and its amazing shows
- Duke Gardens
- Durham Farmers' Market
- Multiple museums and family activities
What do you like to do outside of Duke?
- Hiking at state parks and the American Tobacco Trail
- Paddle boarding
- Trips to the Outer Banks and Asheville
- Browsing the Streets at Southpoint
- Going to Durham Bulls games
Honors and Awards
- Resident Council Member
- PSQC and Wellness Committee member
- Lincoln Diagnostics Travel Grant